Likely, you have had those times that you feel so excited that your company, your sales team, or your efficiency in your profession was graded at 95% or higher range. That is certainly commendable. But in our country, if major, daily events had a 99.9% efficiency, we would experience significant problems (and we do!). Some years ago, a Canadian company did a statistical study on what we would experience if certain services had a 99.9% efficiency. Here is what they found….
If 99.9% Were Good Enough
From InSight, Syncrude Canada Ltd, Communications Division
Below is a list of instances to why giving 100% in everything you do is so important.
If 99.9% Were Good Enough, then…
- Two million documents will be lost by the IRS this year.
- 811,000 faulty rolls of 35mm film will be loaded this year.
- 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong bank accounts in the next 60 minutes
- 1,314 phone calls will be misplaced by telecommunication services every minute.
- 268,500 defective tires will be shipped this year.
- 14,208 defective PCs will be shipped this year.
- 103,260 income tax returns will be processed incorrectly this year.
- 2,488,200 books will be shipped in the next 12 months with the wrong cover.
- 517,200 cases of soft drinks produced in the next 12 months will be flatter than a bad tire.
- Two plane landings daily at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago will be unsafe.
- 3,065 copies of tomorrow’s Wall Street Journal will be missing one of the three sections.
- 18,322 pieces of mail will be mishandled in the next hour.
- 291 pacemaker operations will be performed incorrectly this year.
- 880,000 credit cards in circulation will turn out to have incorrect card holder information on their magnetic strips.
- $9,690 will be spent today, tomorrow, next Thursday, and every day in the future on defective, often unsafe sporting equipment.
- 55 malfunctioning automatic teller machines will be installed in the next 12 months.
- 20,000 incorrect drug prescriptions will be written in the next 12 months.
- 114,500 mismatched pairs of shoes will be shipped this year.
- $761,900 will be spent in the next 12 months on tapes and CDs that won’t play.
- 107 incorrect medical procedures will be performed by the end of the day today.
- 315 entries in Webster’s Third New International Dictionary of the English Language will turn out to be misspelled.
- 12 babies will be given to the wrong parents each day
If life at our best (99.9%) has so many shortcomings, no wonder we need a Savior when it comes to spiritual things. God’s Word declares that we are “to be perfect, even as our Father in Heaven is perfect”. I am not a 99.9% Christian on my best days. So, it is obvious, we need someone to save us from the many ways we fall short of the glory of God to enable us to live in His grace now and His presence forever!