Abraham Maslow, a psychologist, defined a list of human needs that people now call the Hierarchy of Human Needs. He published this list in the 1940s, and it has become the utmost referenced list of human needs.
This list benefits from nearly 75 years of psychology, neuroscience, and sociology research beyond what was known when Maslow wrote his list.
- Food – The body needs calories and a variety of nutrients including protein, fat, and carbohydrates every day to grow, function, and repair. Without food, the body begins to atrophy.
- Water – Ample hydration allows for the processes of the body to occur. Without water the body cannot process food or remove wastes.
- Shelter – We require protection from blazing sun, freezing temperatures, wind, and rain. Without shelter, human skin and organs are damaged from extreme temperatures.
- Sleep – 6–9 hours of sleep every 24 hours allows the brain to process new knowledge and deal with emotional information. Without ample sleep we cannot learn new things or get past emotional pain.
- Others – Adults require connection (physical or emotional) with other humans to release certain hormones like oxytocin. Human touch is so important that when we are young, our brains don’t develop correctly without it. Regular connection to others allows us to maintain a sense of well-being that allows for self-care.
- Novelty – Novelty creates the opportunity to learn and the potential to fail, which stimulates dopamine release in the brain. Without regular novelty, motivation wanes and a healthy sense of well-being is lost. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2018/02/05/six-fundamental-human-needs-we-need-to-meet-to-live-our-best-lives/#25a8703c344a).
God is the supplier and provider of all that we need. It was Abraham on Mount Moriah that made that great confession. God allowed Isaac to live and provided a ram in a thicket to be the sacrifice on the altar rather than Isaac. Seeing the LORD GOD provide, Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-Jireh. As it is said to this day, In the mount of Jehovah it shall be provided. (Gen.22:14).
2 Corinthians 9:8 – And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
2 Peter 1:3 – His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
Philippians 4:19 – And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.